Friday, January 13, 2012

Five Reasons Why You Should Never Trade-in Your Old Xbox 360 Or PS3 Games at Your Local Game Store


Here's the scenario... The next "hit-game" has just been released but you don't have the money to buy it. What do you do?

Or, even better...

You have just completed campaign mode on Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare when you hear of the next chapter in the series being released; Modern Warfare 2. As you realise this, you start to feel an over-powering, strange sensation rippling through your body. You soon accept that you have just been possessed by a gaming demon who manages to convince you that you must get this new game!

O.k... maybe that was no possessing demon after all, but an excuse for the desire you feel when wanting something. You know, it's really the excuse we like to make to justify to ourselves when buying things we absolutely want rather than need! Anyway, continuing on with our scenario. You head on over to your local game store where they accept old games for a trade-in value (or credit), to buy new games in the same store; only to be disappointed when you hear that the trade-in value, given to you for your old game, will not even cover a quarter of the price of the new game. You also discover that you just about have to trade-in all your old games to get any decent credit for purchasing that new game!

There must be a better way... There is!

In this article, I will reveal a great alternative to trading in your old Xbox 360 or PS3 games. I will discuss why the game stores will never give you much for your old games, and why you should avoid these stores when it comes to trading them in anyway.

You see, why trade-in your old Xbox 360 or PS3 games anyway? It's just not worth it! Why not wait a little longer before getting the game you want in exchange for getting it cheaper or completely free!

When I outplayed my Xbox 360 game titled "Frontlines - Fuel Of War", I headed down to my local game store to trade it in for another game I wanted; Grand Theft Auto IV. The price of this title was $79 at the time. I was shocked to be told that my old game would only give me a $10 credit towards purchasing the game I really wanted. I thought my old game must be worth more than this as it was still selling for $40. I then tried a competing game store that also accepted trade-ins; I didn't do any better there either. At this point, I decided not to trade this game and wait a few days before buying the new game I really wanted. It didn't take me long to realise that the game stores need to make a profit with the old games that are traded in. The older the game, or if it's a less popular game (or even if the store already has large numbers of the same game for sale), can affect the trade-in value given to you.

I went back home and did a little research online for a better option and found it!

Instead of trading in your old games at any of your local game stores, you should sell all your old games on-line instead. Here are five reasons why:

1. Making more money for your old games - The amount you can get for your game is usually more, much more, than the trade-in value you receive from your local game store.

2. Selling your old games online is easier and hassle free - Why deal with organising a home garage sale or traffic hassles when having to travel to your local game store.

3. Selling online is free - Unless you choose eBay as an outlet to sell your old games, you can offload them without paying any money.

4. Selling online can be quick - It only took me three minutes to create and submit an ad for my old game

5. Selling online can be fun - The idea of creating the for sale ad, taking and posting a few pictures online (only if you want to), then seeing your old games sell in no time at all - some times literally minutes - can be exciting.

I managed to sell my old game "Frontlines - Fuel Of War" by posting a for sale thread at a highly popular game related forum site in my country for $30 plus post. It was super easy. I spent three minutes creating and posting the for sale thread. In the ad, I stated that I was looking to let the game go for $30PP. Only minutes later, I started to receive replies. People were making bids on how much they would pay for the game. As the bids came in, the price was climbing up closer to the price I set. My wanted price for the game was matched in less than twenty minutes. I was a very happy person. The buyer then sent me a private message via the site containing his shipping address. I responded with the postage price (a value I obtained from my local post office website) and my Pay Pal address for the funds to be paid to.

When posting for sale threads via game related online forums, you may come across a few obstacles along the way. Here how to deal with one of the most common ones.

Some forums have rules preventing you from posting in the for sale threads until you meet a certain criteria; i.e. like having a certain amount of general discussion type posts accredited to your name. This is usually to prove-your-worthy (so to speak) to the forum. You can easily achieve this by searching for topics that interest you and then join in on the discussion. Don't just make any lame type of reply. Make sure you add some value to it. By adding value, you will start to build rapport with others and that builds trust. Before you realise it, you will have made enough posts to qualify posting in the for sale threads.

Once you have successfully sold one or more of your games. Simply make contact with the buyer then mutually agree on the best way for them to make a payment plus where to post the game(s) to.

That's it. Once you have received the money for your old games, depending on the amount, you can either get your next game purchase cheaply or even FREE!




I hope this article was helpful and manages to get you top-dollar for all your old games. To accurately get the correct postage price for shipping your game, I recommend weighing it with something like a salter electronic scale. Once you have sold your old game(s) and have the money for your next game purchase, why not also try buying the game online as well. Sites like Xbox 360 Cheap Games might have the game you're after at price too good to refuse. Good luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment